Monday, October 17, 2011

Gingersnaps - National Cookie Month


So, despite having every intention of making cookies everyday - what better excuse than a national month-long cookie holiday?! - I've made what appears to be EVERYTHING but cookies so far this month. Two huge apple pies for a family Sunday dinner, four loaves of whole wheat bread, two pumpkin pies (because it's autumn and I had a massive craving), TWO coconut cakes and a repeat on the Surprise Cookies. Oh, I guess I did make cookies!


We've had GORGEOUS autumn weather the last week and the trees on the mountains are turning brilliant fall colors. It's making me think of the coming Holiday Season (hence the pumpkin pie this week) and all the yummy baking that I love to do. Nothing smells to me like autumn and early winter like the smell of gingersnap cookies!


The flavors of fall, wrapped in a sugar coating? Delicious!

Gingersnaps (adapted from my mother, Kaye Wallace's recipe)
Makes about 25 cookies


3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup dark molasses
2-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon


 Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and molasses. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Scoop out small balls and roll in hands, then roll in sugar. Bake on a parchement lined cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden and the tops of the cookies have cracked. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.


This recipe is easily doubled, tripled, and quadrupled. Believe me - a quadruple batch is in your future! Great the same day you cook them, they are UNBELIEVABLE the next day after the flavors have blended. Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and every morsel a reminder of the lovely Holiday season to come!

Kaye Wallace's Gingersnap Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I treasure your thoughts about my posts and read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...