Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead

Polka and Bloom Calavera Skull Embroidery Pattern
Today I've been thinking about Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead. The Mr. lived quite a few years in Mexico as a preteen, and then for two years as a missionary for our church. He has a deep love for the people of Mexico, their food, and their culture. Ask the children what one of the favorite things they love to do with their father, besides fishing, and they will say, "making bolillo," a traditional Mexican crispy crust bread roll. Last week we used the last of our tomatoes from the garden to make a roasted tomato salsa in our molcajete. Our favorite soup? Caldo de Albondigas (Mexican Meatball Soup - someday I'll share my recipe with you!).

Sweet Sugar Belle

Last year I attempted to make Day of the Dead cut-out cookies. They did NOT turn out as amazing as these cookies by Sweet Sugar Belle. (But go check out this amazing tutorial she posted!!) I think I like Day of the Dead traditions because the holiday celebrates the amazingly vibrant colors of Mexico and it emphasizes the importance of family and ancestors.

Frida Kahlo Mexican Tile
One of my favorite artists is Frida Kahlo.The way she embraced her ethnic roots, the uncompromising honesty of her artwork, the way she wore her hair!! And her unique perspective.

Happy Dia de los Muertos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I treasure your thoughts about my posts and read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...